Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sepulcros De Miel by Omar Rodriguez Lopez Quartet



You might know Omar Rodriguez Lopez from The Mars Volta. He's released tons of solo records over the past few years and I find this one to be one of my favorites of his. It's a nice psychedilic jam-fest of intense drumming, crazy guitar solos and smooth bass lines.

The album's only flaws are that it has an intro and outro, which always seem kind of annoying to me. Although, I can't complain much sense Lopez put this album out for free. The album starts off with this strange electronic noise and moves into a nice relaxing jam that progresses into a heavier notion that keeps you nodding the whole time to the song.

Later on the album it goes into these really expiremental guitar drones and strange sounds, then kicks into more groves and back into heavy jamming. There's many parts of this album that say to me this is allot like something you'd see out of most psychedlic bands from the 70's, but I think it's the droning and soundscapes that Omar makes in this album that makes this album so much more unique.

Of course some people might not be turned on by how the album goes back in forth from calm to intense, but I find that to make this album a more exciting acid trip. Not only is this an album for any mood you're in, but it's an album you could just put on a repeat a few times and not get old from a single part of it.



Edit: this album isn't free anymore, but it's at a really low price of only five bucks. You can buy the album below.

http://omardigital.rodriguezlopezproductions.com/album/sepulcros-de-miel

14 comments:

  1. Omar is new for me, but doesn't sound bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got it when it was free, well worth double the price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Buckethead's experimental stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiar with the Mars Volta but not his solo stuff. This sounds really interesting. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five bucks isn't that bad, I'll pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like your blog. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Omar Rodriguez's work with Mars Volta & At the drive-in! Everything he touches turns into gold :D

    Following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely agree with above comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This stuff is really intense. Really like the Mars Volta so I will be checking this out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hated the mars volta as a group, but I might check this out. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I like this. I forgot all about Mars Volta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah same, will check this out

    ReplyDelete