Thursday, April 21, 2011

So I like having these types of posts where I'm not just reviewing, but asking a question. Mine for right now is - what song or album means something personal to you? You don't have to explain why, but I'm curious.

For me it's "Bottle Dreams" by Eyedea. Eyedea, also known as Michael Larsen (RIP), was a conscious rapper who's lyrics go from philosophical to hitting home. I've mentioned him a few times here on my blog, but I'll just straight up say he's my favorite rapper. In this song he tells the story of a talented woman who was sexually abused by her father and she ends up giving up on everything she was good at and kills herself. I knew a girl who I used to be closed to who went through similar things, so every time this song plays I think of her.

I know that's a little extreme, but it is what it is. Here's the song:

Lyrics here.

In terms of album, I'd go for Sunset Mission by Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, which is a very dark jazz album that I used to play every night for about a year about two years ago. The reason it was personal to me? I really don't know, but I feel some strange certain connection listening to it that I can't explain here.

13 comments:

  1. right now I'm loving Interpol, it depends on the season, it was Phoenix month ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my personal favorite is My Heroine by Silverstein has a very strong message

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have it branded as my "special song" or anything like that, but Bright Eyes from Art Garfunkel puts me in a sombre, contemplative, and introspective mood. I first heard it while watching Watership Down as a child and that movie...did things to my psyche.

    As for an album, does a soundtrack count? Listening to ES4: Oblivion music relieves my stress like nothing else because I spent the better part of four years running through forests and gathering herbs while listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, definitely the album "Richard D. James Album" by "Aphex Twin". My first electronic music album (other than daft punk), and it still means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. not a song or album but artists.
    kid cudi and sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may sound cliche, but Metallica's "Metallica" (the Black Album) was pretty much the soundtrack for my high school years, so I always hold a special place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really have a favorite album, but I do tend to pick up the greatest hits of anything. Anything that made the top 40 is good in my books

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Marshall Mathers LP. always will mean something special

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome tune, I heard of this guy before, but never actually listened to his stuff. Its very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me I love that song too for reasons you know already. However I love his song Powdered water Part 1. His lyrics are amazing he surpasses so many rappers it's actually fucking shit that he is dead. I like suicidal failure by Cage as well for irony. :P

    ReplyDelete